Monday, March 16, 2009

Why I love facebook....

You know, I'm kind of addicted to Facebook. Ok, if you ask my husband, I am obsessed with it. (Honestly, my relationship with facebook might be slightly dysfunctional, but I get as much as I give, right?)

As I have travelled and moved all over the country, I used to think the world was small. But with Facebook, the world has shrunk yet again. Ebay kind of has the same effect. I sell something to Turkey or the U.K. or places I've never been - and it's like you can reach out and touch people.

The cool thing with facebook and myspace and stuff like that is that you realize that every person you know or have ever met, or have gone to school with, or worked with or whatever will eventually pop back into your conscious mind and you'll go, "hey, I wonder if so and so is on Facebook". Then you look for them and either find them or not. And when you do find them, whether or not its a cousin you haven't spoken with voice to voice since 3/4 of your life ago, or a friend you had a falling out with, you still have a connection to them. Maybe it's safer to communicate via email/internet after separations. I know I feel that way. But at the same time, it's still a risk that they either won't respond, or will be nasty to you again.

Oh well. Maybe this just means that I am passive and/or less assertive than I should be since I don't plan to bring it up. Maybe it means that our memories (or at least mine) have a hard time holding onto negative outcomes - or just really want to be friends with people. I don't know. Maybe I just think it's a really cool way to let people know that they have impacted your life, whether good or bad - and that by including them as a friend - they know you care. Even if you haven't spoken to them since grade school.

2 comments:

  1. What I want to know is why you sent a friend request to me on Facebook? You and I never spoke once in school and I even thought you very much disliked me. The only reason I can figure is because of Bill. Anyways, I do enjoy talking to you on FB and you have given me some good potty training advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure we did (talk). Didn't we have biology together? I always thought you were a bit misunderstood in high school. And quite an illustrator. I mean, I don't remember details about many people. You were pretty quiet, though.

    I had actually forgotten Bill's name. I don't know that he had much if any impact on me, but you must have made an impression. :) High School was a miserable time in my life. My parents had just divorced, and I was dating this real piece of work of a jerk. So by graduation, I felt like I was alienated from just about everyone anyway.

    There are several people who I went to middle and high school with that I spoke to in grade school last - but who friended me first and I wonder about that, too. I think it's nice to see how people turned out. :)

    ReplyDelete