Monday, February 9, 2009

Multiplication - kid style!

So here's one for you.... how is it that one child can breed so many toys? Somehow, must be while we are sleeping, they are going off in pairs and coming back in families of 3 and 4 and 5. How does this happen? Where do they come from? Do I have someone's permission to give them away so the next kid (God willing) gets a few new things, too?

While I'm not sure where they come from (aside from Santa and a few weak moments in the toy section at Target) I get to pick them up. I pick up behind her while she's playing, I pick up during nap time, I pick up when she's in bed at night. I sing the clean up song, "Clean up, Clean up, everybody everywhere. Clean up, Clean up, everybody do your share" in an attempt to motivate her to do it herself - and yet I still pick up 90% of them on average 5 times a day.

I know I have to keep this in perspective. Not too long ago, I was complaining to my sister MLM about how she (the little one, not my sister) likes to dump her plate on the floor when she's done with her meal. She is especially fond of this practice when she's eating something like blackberries or avocados or cottage cheese - you know, stuff even the dogs can't clean up entirely. MLM kindly reminded me to be glad that she's just dumping her plate. "Just" dumping her plate????? Of course. Just dumping her plate when she could be 17 and smoking pot. (Well, she is kind of a wine-o but that's a story for another day....)

There will be a day when I miss picking up toys, right? Like when I have to start picking up school books and car keys and i-pods or whatever other expensive little electronic gadget she HAS TO HAVE RIGHT NOW!!!!!

I guess I can wait a little longer for that while I pick up "Tomas the Choo Choo" and "Burt and Oiney, Elmo and Cookie Moster" a few more times.....today.

No comments:

Post a Comment